Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Anecdotal Life Part.9

After a night of waking up in a cold sweat I made it up to Goose Harbor and the boat by 9:30 a.m. on Saturday. I was unable to connect with a gentleman named John who had offered up himself and his wife as teachers for my education in piloting my boat. I should have been more careful in my communications for times for us to meet. I figured I was stuck.
However, there's always something to do on a boat. I jumped on board and found my insurance papers and went to the marina to replace my boat pole which had been stolen. (Definitely not at the Goose Harbor marina where security is great.) As I came back I was approached by another fellow boater who had experience with electronics. These are people that need to be treated with the utmost care and respect. Even I knew that. Electronics people, carpenters, good mechanics, computer experts, and plumbers are national treasures.
He swung himself on board and flew up to the flybridge (or so it seemed to me)and plunged right in to a rapidly delivered lecture on the overwhelming array of dials before my eyes. At a couple of points I made him stop so that I could repeat the information. It was kinda like memorizing a table setting. A hair easier than that because the dials were duplicated on each side. However, what made it all a little nervous making was the fact all those dials were crucial to one's survival. Voltage, temperature, oil, rpms, and ooh, let us not forget the first and most critical to not being blown off the planet, the cute little switch near the those rudder thingamajigs, called the blower switch. It clears the gasoline fumes out so that when one turns on the engines one can avoid going kapowee.
I have a fume detector, but we thought it wasn't working until I ran below to the fuse and switch panel ( probably there exists a better name for that too),pushed a switch and lo and behold it was doing it's job. Mental note to myself," turn it on even before the blower switch Honey!"
Then dear Lord , we opened the electronics box. Had to have come from Greece and a chick named Pandora for sure. I knew I was on overload in terms of info and anxiety , but at least we named what I would need to learn.
TO BE CONTINUED IN BLOG NO.10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home