Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Anecdotal Life Part.4

My house deal is at the home inspection stage. I will never understand some people's thinking or probably their arrogance. If the seller turns out to be disabled or elderly; then I'll eat my words, but if not .... Basically, the systems in the house are very sound, as is the house. New roof, good heat pump, water heater are all that you would hope for. Carpets are good, not excellent but good. Flooring in entryway, kitchen, and hall is lovely. BUT! Here's what I don't get. The master bathroom tub looks to be the original from when the place was built. (1980) Parts of fixtures missing or leaking and it's a mess. The bathroom, however, looks adorable. Nice sink top BUT underneath it was totally torn up in big heaped up chunks. While the refrig and stove were fine, the washer and dryer were housed in a filthy enclosure that a large brown spider ran out of when I opened the door. The attic ceiling had been redone for great ventilation but the few floorboards that were in place were piled up with debris. So I bargained and came out pretty well. I would have been happier if I'd gotten two more items, but I was aware the price was relatively low to begin with. The radon report hasn't come back yet, nor the termite inspection. So we'll see, I guess.
The fun part is the setting. In a small friendly court, on the end, next to a little woods that really shelters the house from the sun and is a great barrier from another housing development. Fronted with large, red and white azalea bushes in full array and along the side of the place, lilies of the valleys and other flowers yet to be identified. A new brick porch is in a cozy ( yea, no grass to be mowed) patio. But, here we go again, the back fence is new, the side fence is a wreck. Fortunately, it's a short fence.
Moneywise, I will make it by the "skin of my teeth" and wonder if living on what looks to be a cul de sac, only square, will be like living in "The Burbs" that was so hysterically depicted in an old Tom Hanks movie. Maybe I oughta check with the garbage man or the mailman. In the movie the garbage man declared " I told you everybody in these cul de sacs was crazy". That may not be an exact quote, but that's the gist of it. Wish me luck.
Copyright: May 3, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home