Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Anecdotal Life Part.42

The family, the boat, the final for my courses in Seamanship and Boat Handling, the shopping, the cleaning, the decorating are all looming large right now. Everything is at sixes and sevens. I opened "Pandora's box" by simply trying to get into the Christmas closet to find my son and his wife's stockings so I could send them off to California well in advance of the final. Oh well, Ha! This isn't your average Christmas closet. It's back, down under the stairwell and you bend more and more and more as you crawl in there. Naturally, all the heaviest boxes are at the back jammed under the last stair. All I wanted were two blue, handknit stockings made by an artist friend of mine. I figure what are my odds that it's somewhere easily reached.... pretty good right? Wrong. Last box in the farthest, darkest corner. Yeah, you're right; there is no light in there. Couldn't find the flashlight. Now all the boxes are in the living room that I had sworn to clean before I set things up. Once you open those things and you want to preserve any semblance of order, there is no choice but to begin. I am a wreck with sixty other things I needed to do. Like my boat for instance. It is " up on the hard" as they say and you'd think that was the end of my worries for the winter. I had to run up to Goose Harbor to get more sheets for the isinglass covers that were to be layered in the foc'sle for storage. I went to look at the boat. Guess where it is? Farthest back corner facing the bay and bordering the channel. I do have covers, but they are just for the flybridge. I can't afford shrink wrapping it to protect it and apparently shrouding it with tarp can be expensive and troublesome if ice collects in pools. However, there is my baby, stuck right out there in the wind and whatever. I am so grumpy!!
Copyright: December 1, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home