Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Anecdotal Life Part.29

Went to the marina last night for a meeting. What I love about boating or being near or on the water was happily available. If you're lucky you get a panoramic view and that we've got in spades. A harvest, orange moon loomed over the smooth glassy waterways. No highway sounds, just a few chirps here and there and some squawks from disgruntled ducks having it out with each other. As I walked down the pier something fat plopped into the water next to me. I was startled and couldn't begin to guess what it was, too dark for that. Further along the pier I was confounded to see a row of ducks all sleeping on a boat line that was partially submerged and had been strung from the piling to the dock in order to separate one berth from another. They seemed to use the line for support and also to keep themselves from floating helter skelter. As much as I have encountered the ducks here in Annapolis, I hadn't seen that happen.
Quiet times like that are good times to think. Yesterday I had been flung a gauntlet by a friend who had seen through a lot of excuses on my part when it came to piloting my own boat. Apparently he'd seen right through to the coward within. Part of me still thinks he's a little cockeyed in demanding so much, so soon. I personally think a few steps or rehearsals would be wise, but he had me for the most part. I was particularly fearful of docking. He blew away the perfectionistic blockages I was busy building. However, even though, I am still scared, I realized really good friends don't let you run away. Failure only comes from not trying; not from trying and goofing up. True, I don't want to knock everyone off pier A, but they better don their life vests, and throw out more fenders, because I know I will be attempting something soon.
I do need to practice planing again, since my boat began overheating at that point and we had to quit and go back. Futhermore, I fell apart at that same point on my friend's boat when I attempted planing. Trust me, confidence is lacking there. I know I have never had the wheel when it comes to docking so challenge or not, we need to come to a compromise, but one without dodges on my part. It ought to be an interesting argument.
Copyright: Sept. 9, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home