Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Anecdotal Life Part.19

Well, I made it this far. I am in Michigan now and for me it's better than being in Jamaica, but actually the minute I crossed the Ohio border I relaxed. The air is cleaner , everything is cleaner, and maybe it was an unusual day, but the turnpike seemed like a ghost town. Biggest surprise was the price of gas at $2.68.
Not a lot happening in Ohio, though its a tad livelier in Oberlin where a very liberal college is located. I stay at the Oberlin Inn that is haunted by former faculty members and relaxing current faculty.
One former member was sitting next to me. He was in his nineties, owned and sailed a boat, and had a tennis partner. I think I made a mistake when I gave him my email. He was all over that.... Hmmm.
At any rate now I am in Michigan in a small town named Grand Ledge and I am trotting back and forth between Grand Ledge and Grand Rapids. I always forget how flat Michigan is. I swear you could lay on your stomach and see clear to Iowa. Though I wouldn't recommend it since all you'd see is a lot of very good dirt. Nothing wrong with good dirt , but it's just not a thrill after the first mile or two.
I always like to take a good book along for night-time reading. Well, you'd never guess what I hauled along with me. It practically needed it's own set of wheels. "Chapman's Piloting" is not light nor good night reading. It's very anxiety producing.
The chapter on navigation was my worst nightmare. Just when I had myself convinced (and very falsely convinced) that the math would be within my mental capabilities, I came across the calculations and devices needed to make those calculations. All that stuff for simply finding out where you need to go. Never my long suit. I had just spent an hour or so off course on the highway in New Stanton, Pennsylvania. Lovely town however. Whenever I stop to ask questions, people always give me a wild-eyed look, and say, " You are from Annapolis going where!!?"
To heck with it. Tomorrow I will be in Beulah, Michigan near Traverse City at our very own Crystal Lake and I will really know where I am and why.
Copyright: June 25, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home