Monday, May 14, 2007

The Anecdotal Life Part. 59

Well, "ain't it a glorious day?" Three in a row even. My son, Mark, and his wife Annette, had just sent really lovely tulips with a riotous lime green vase that matched even more riotous plates from my sister in Albuquerque. It was as if an Hispanic uprising of color were erupting in one corner of my kitchen. A good call from Mark topped that day off.
On saturday I typed six and a half pages of my latest story on my boat. Finally. I have always imagined I could use the boat to write on or in. My little old computer and its battery held steady through various sized wakes and in fact, my boat battery held steady and my bilge pump etc. All was peaceful. I didn't go anywhere, but then I didn't quite want to, but the next day...
Was MOTHER'S DAY! Eric and I had pancakes and eggs at his house and if you don't think that's eventful, well you don't know Eric. He has a way of gliding abstractly through life's minutiae. Following the unnerving preparation ,we ate and he hustled me up to his office to show me how to google earth. I was my dubious nontechnical self, thinking, "Heck I can't even google mapquest correctly," but he showed me! Boy did he show me! We googled Goose Harbor where my boat is and we both gasped at the size of the shoal at the entrance to our channel and marina. No wonder there are wrecks there and then..just as you get out the gate, there's a bigger shoal on the left. We googled our cottage in Michigan and it showed the road down the hill, the cottage, the renovated old shed, the dock and our whole big gorgeous lake. We were terribly homesick after that one. Next we googled Ulan Bator, Mongolia where Eric went on business. There he encountered card players sitting on the side of the road in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere, with an eagle as a companion. It's as though the whole world becomes a toy ball in your hands to be spun and inspected.
Then grabbing the most perfect Sunday in some time, we went to the Phillip's gallery which is just a few blocks from Eric's house and we were bowled over completely. We watched all the precursors to movie making. Some, well most, were pretty funny looking, but still fascinating. So much of their experimentation dealt with the movement of water. I saw waves and tempests I never hope to see while aboard my own boat. Sometimes it made you seasick. Earlier, just think, Eric and I sat swirling a cursor, crossing oceans to wondrous places I always dreamed of like Dubai, Kathmandu, and the Winter Palace of Catherine the Great in St. Petersburg. I had an English teacher, the like of which never to be found again, who said," Only bores are bored." Everybody loved Marty. He was always, annoyingly right.
Copyright: May 14, 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home