Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Anecdotal Life Part. 55

Barnacles are gone, and half the hull is cleaned of debris, but I learned a boating lesson about finicky weather and staying tuned to the radio without even having to go out on the water. I was so proud of myself Tuesday morning for choosing such a perfect day from the ABC weather map. I kept my radio on as I drove up to the Middle River area. Good thinking. Just as I cleared the Key Bridge, the announcer said something like-- Wonderful weather today with the notable exception of the Northwest Chesapeake which will be covered over by an incoming "marine layer from the Atlantic." No! I shouted. Looked up and forward and there it hung, a mile or two ahead of me. Dark lowering clouds, gusty winds, fog, (with all its concomitant dews and damps) and I had spent too much on gas to turn back. I swear it only surrounded and mainly subsisted over our marina. I worked on the leeward side of the boat as much as possible, scrubbing the lower side of the hull that I wouldn't be able to reach once the boat was launched. My right hand and lower back decreed how much I could do for the day, but rotten weather didn't help. I did the best I could, then limped on home. I drove down the marina road, turned the corner and it was instantly a perfect spring day, glorious sun included. Unbelievable.
Boating has its moments.
A friend from Michigan sent a letter about a cruise he and his wife went on. Her main complaint was about how difficult it can be to board a boat. Oh yeah, I remember that. I wrote back that it had taken three guys to get me on and off the boat the first time I tried. Of course, it was a grey, blustery day on Barnegat Bay and my slip was right smack on the front corner that caught every little or large incoming wave...and there were soooo many. One of my friends needed four guys to get her off the boat and another pitched straight forward into the drink attempting to disembark. Not all on the same day, thank heaven. Boating ain't for sissies. Which begs the question, "what am I doing in this sport?" Hopefully getting over being such a sissie and besides I can't help it. It's fascinating. I love the water.
Copyright: April 5, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home