Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Anecdotal Life Part. 132

Dear, Dear Everybody,


Another Blog? So soon already? Have to, because of extenuating circumstances. Mainly, my left foot needs work and just when I intended to begin matting, framing, and hanging etc. for a show I wish
to have on November the 28th. Drat. However, boot on or not I will do it, although it will be necessary to do many things so much earlier. Namely, an invitation, now, for the day after Thanksgiving called Black Friday.

Time: 4:00 p.m. ....

Where: The former Whitmore Printing Building located just off West Street on Moreland Parkway, no. 1982 in Annapolis, Md.

Why? For a lot of reasons. 1. When I entered this building I knew I had the chance of a lifetime to work where I had always dreamed of working. Long, long ago my sister Ruth and my brother-in-law, Norm Bowen took me to a warehouse just outside of San Francisco when my family and I "trekked"
across America in a Corvair (no, not a Corvette) which was a small, unreliable car that was stolen by someone with an I.Q. two months below a rock.
 Jesse Allen and Escher owned and sold and promoted their work in this warehouse.After that eyeopener I was forever more "wandering the earth" looking for such a place...at least in my mind's eye. I tried for years here in Annapolis to enter the Maryland Hall of Arts only to be turned down...five times. Finally, the director, Sygrid Trumpy gave me some precious clues as to why and how to recoup. Basically, she said " You have excellent credentials but! you don't fit the parameters.. diversity parameters. There is a man over in the Whitmore Building that has a warm spot in his heart for artists and you need to go there." So I did; I walked in and lo and behold, I was standing in a big, empty building with posters, prints, and photos all attesting to the creativity that had flowed through and flowered there. He had me at the get-go with, "When can you start?" I sat for a few seconds because I knew it would change my whole life, and then said, I will sign a check right now. Then ran home as fast as I could, TO GET MY STUFF. Well, if you have been well acquainted with any artist you know he let a camel in the tent. All I cared about was filling the walls that stood empty and started painting to release the pent-up volcano of visions I knew were threatening my mental health. For two years I have worked. It has been my kind of heaven. Leaky roof aside (the owner has knocked himself out solving the situation), the loneliness , even spookiness when it was only me there, the rise and fall and rescue of an enterprise going on around me, somehow just spurred me onward and now I intend to..
"do some of my own promoting".

THEREFORE:  A ROGUE  RETROSPECTIVE   WILL BE UP FOR A SHORT TIME ONLY IN THE HALLS OF THE WHITMORE. ANYONE NOT ABLE TO COME THAT DATE CAN MAKE APPOINTMENTS FOR POSSIBLY ONE WEEK FOLLOWING. BROWNIES WILL BE HANDED OUT TO THE FIRST FIFTY ARRIVALS.  I will send out a reminder in late October and I truly hope to see  each and everyone of you. prices will range from $10 to $5000.
Copyright: August 30, 2014.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home