Sunday, May 06, 2012

The Anecdotal Life Part. 119

It seems using a quote irritates one of my readers so I thought I'd begin with one of my favorites...ha!
(99% of my readers love the quotes, so maybe what we have here is an easily irritated soul or just an irritating guy. Whatever...)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
 It certainly provoked a laugh out of me when I read it a few days after the opening of the letter of rejection from the Director of Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts. She was not the judge, but rather the messenger. She was positive "... the final decision was based on the commitment in our AIR program to diversity and also the appropriateness of the type of work for the space. Your credentials are excellent....Although your application was not selected at this time, I would like to encourage you to keep your application active as there will be one, possibly two studios, both with three year terms, opening up as of September 1st."
As anyone who knows me can attest, I am certainly a diversity in and of myself. That even might be getting a little out of hand, but I suspect she meant something broader. 
However, on the appropriateness of studio size- they had me there. I sent in some samples of very large paintings and that space ( I snuck in and saw it.) was about the size of my kitchen- which is a pain...
I sent word that I wished for my file to be kept active, but in the meantime, I have done something that is already alleviating the sense of defeat brought on by the rejection. A kind, fellow collage artist has offered to share a bit of her space down in Easton, Maryland. We work well together. We both think up stuff to do faster than a snake. This can be good and this can be bad if you think about it. 
It is in the Brookletts Building which is a classy name for an old, I mean, old unto rusting , creaky, dark , filled with lots of narrow staircases, warehouse. We love it, but have agreed to try NOT to be there alone. True, there are other artists, but the they tippy-toe around and come and go silently. The joint is not jumping. Great view though. Across the way are tall, rusty granaries, to and from which, huge trucks maneuver their way up little driveways. It
looks like Chernobyl over there. So it will cost in terms of gas and bridge payments but it's free. Currently, I am using postcard size collages for actual postcards .... Post cards from the edge, we should call them.
 Lots of love to you all, even to good old "irritable". 
Copyright: May 6th, 2012.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home