Monday, October 17, 2011

The Anecdotal Life Part. 114

Facebook---- Take it or leave it?
First off, my son is right. "It's a free for all. Mom." It leaves you open to insults, downright slander, invasions of privacy, (actually, what privacy?) viruses, and a simple case of shock now and then. People ruminate and unload stray and often strange philosophies. They banter back and forth with other "thinkers" in esoteric and cryptic verbiage. Youngsters stumble on through "liking" everything and everybody. It's like sitting on the front porch, maybe not as comfortably, certainly not as safely, trying to stir up some action. At its best, friends and neighbors stroll by and "sit for a spell." Old friends are rediscovered. Family is celebrated. It's a great place to tell someone Happy Birthday or to buzz someone off as the case may be. However, I like to give people "three strikes and then they're out."
"Majorally" as the kids say, it's exhausting, like wandering into an unsolvable maze. I am somehow friends with 4000 people I never heard of or met. It seems like a social network with antisocial undertones. A lot cranks and cynics have a heyday, but then , so does the "airy fairy" I love the world set. I want to tell them all to get real and go do something about it. Getting real means going to visit someone in dire straits, perhaps over and over and over, going a long distance to a funeral because it was a good person that passed or a good friend who just needed to see your face, buying and bringing a special pizza to someone who is all worn out, skipping across the way to say, " Hey, are you o.k.?", and stopping in your busy, self centered, errand running tracks to really listen to someone vent. If I felt like shortening this last flow of examples, I could have said, "Act on it, don't talk about it." What if we all just jumped off of this too often trivial Yoo Hoo.com as my family calls it and helped one person that day instead. Basically, time spent on Facebook could be better spent.
I kind of like Twitter because it demands that you get to the point, sort of clears the sinuses and gets the day started off right. So I may be saying Sayonara to Facebook; it's not the best place for a practicing introvert. "How public like a frog." Emily Dickinson would have said. If you have access to the email address on this blog, you have access to me and my friendship.
Copyrigh: October 18, 2011

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home