Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Anecdotal Life Part. 73

There is something deadly about the few days after Christmas , when guests hurry off and one is struck by the empty, cold and quiet, struck by the simple acts of remaking beds and putting what is now totally useless, extra china away. The clock doesn't even sound the same. The bongs are reminders of "Christmas past" when everyone kept complaining about it's accuracy and leaden tones. Then it was funny. But my cats and I wander about realigning ourselves to the sudden unwelcome space and sit for a moment all piled up together catching our breath. "who were those 'beloved' people?" Then I collect myself and look around at the trash, the endless array of ornaments and decorations cheerfully strung all over the place in every possible spot and begin the long, painfully slow, cleanup and repacking of box after box, after box. Just when I was feeling sorry for myself, a friend called and she, in her wonderful forthright, demanding voice said, "Come to dinner! Darren's ( her son) is home!" Ah, perfect, The Biggart fix! I love this family-"as individuals and as a race." A powerful Irish and peaceful Pennsylvanian mix.
We tell our stories of where we've been and where we're going and why, laugh at our foibles and cheer each other on. For me, it's my boat, painting , writing and current struggle with the challenge of collaging a postcard for a New York subway competition when I am used to paintings that have been as large as five by eight feet. Darren to a final few months of college and then to New York with amazing chances already for a break. How does this kid do it? Well, shrewd choices, hard work, tremendous parental support and the concomitant talent might explain it. Rosemary back to the rattlety-bang pace of running a lovely school, and Rob to his 18th month countdown to retirement from BGE. (I think he needs to get a boat). We will regroup anon and pour out our hearts over the kitchen table, exchange disasters and triumphs and above all... be together. Happy New Year everyone; may you have friends like mine.
Copyright: December 30, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home