Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Anecdotal Life Part. 66

Just completed lesson five from a Captain listed in Capca, an organization one can call if you need experienced, licensed Captains. Thus far they have been fine. Always though, a different captain, means a different perspective. Jeff is relaxed and gives one a long tether by generally calling up orders from the cockpit, while Jeremy stood over me with explicit directions. It worked well either way depending upon how courageous I was feeling. Last time Jeff was the instructor since Jeremy quit due to the long distance he had to drive and the interruption lessons caused to his very lucrative career moving boats up and down the intracoastal waters. So I had only myself to blame when the boat slewed around in the slip as we ditched the lines to leave. I got a good glimpse of what it means to let the stern lines go first. Wind wasn't a big issue, nor current, but I prefer bow first after what I saw happening. I realized that I wasn't reacting fast enough either, and am still slightly hesitant as to what to do next, but learned that I had better do something fast or I would cream a beautiful boat next to me. Jeff was an ace at fending off trouble though and was hopping about with cheerful rapidity. He claimed I did a fine job. I, however, wished sincerely that it had been smoother. Backing in was a little bit more independent on my part, but, again, I truly believed I had some practicing to do to make it a real solo job. I was also too dependent (but not totally) on his calling out the next needed move.
The marina I may move to will have long fingerlings between each boat and the next. This will have two enormous advantages. One can say, as one truly experienced boater said lately, " to hell with backing in " and he ,now, always enters the slip bow first and has wondered every day since why he didn't choose that strategy sooner. Long fingerlings will mean if I go in bow first, it will make absolutely no difference as to getting on or off the boat since the stern is readily available. The second advantage is that long fingerlings with good fenders mean you aren't as anxious about damaging a neighbor's beloved boat. I still also need to get the chart plotter down...and I ask and ask. I learn a little more each time, but so far everyone is as slightly stumped as we have been. Stephen, my forward crewman, knows more now that Jeremy worked with him, but no one has ever said, " Do this first, and that second etc." I may have to hire a captain who will teach just that. I remain frustrated by what I don't know and still leery of the tricky depths of the Chesapeake, and the complete nuts one encounters on this watery version of the Beltway. The Annapolis Sail and Power Squadron is booking up again this fall and they are creating a list of volunteer captains. Help is on the way.
Copyright: August 26, 2007

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb B ANN said...

Thanks for the referral! "To hell with backing in"
Deb

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home